You may have heard of chakras when you visited a local health store or you browsed in a new age book shop. You know that each one is a different color and they are somewhere along your spine. That may be all you know, but to understand Reiki and what it can do for you, you will need to understand what chakras are.
Here is some information that may help you better understand your chakras. This will help you during your first Reiki appointment and with any treatment that is mentioned afterwards.
The Seven Chakras
The first thing to understand about your chakras is the number. There are seven chakras and each one has a specific color and function. Each one of the seven chakras is a center of a specific kind of energy in the body. They are aligned from the top of your head and move down the spine. You will see this often in chakra charts depicting the person sitting down in a lotus-like meditative position. The chakras start at the head and go to the base of the spine, stopping at the ground or grounding point to the earth.
Each Chakra Has A Purpose
- The root chakra is located at the base of your spine and represents earthly grounding and the physical survival issues in your daily life, like money and food, If you are having life struggles, like financial issues or issues with providing for yourself that are leading to stress, you may need to obtain root healing. It’s color is red.
- The next chakra, sacral, deals with accepting others. This chakra is also concerned with emotions. This is the center for desires, pleasure, sexuality, procreation and creativity. It’s color is orange.
- The third chakra, moving up the spine to the head, is the solar plexus. It is located a few fingers above your navel. It is considered to be the center of your emotional life. Feelings of self-esteem, personal power, laughter, joy and anger live here. It’s color is yellow.
- The fourth is the most commonly referred to chakra, known as the heart chakra, and represents inner peace, love, compassion, and harmony. It has been referred to as the house of the soul. It’s color is green.
- The fifth is the throat chakra and represents communication, creativity, and self-expression. It is concerned with both inner and outer hearing, the fusion of ideas, healing, and transformation. It’s color is blue or turquoise.
- The sixth chakra is the third eye, which sits between the eyes and slightly above them. It represents wisdom and imagination, questioning, perception and knowing. It is concerned with intuition and inner vision. It’s color is indigo.
- The final chakra, located at the top of the head, is the crown chakra and represents the full connection of all the chakras. It is concerned with information, understanding, acceptance and bliss. It is the connection between you and your higher power. It’s color is violet.
Centering and Healing the Chakras with Reiki
Reiki plays into your chakras as the method which many use to align their chakras or cleanse them. If there are issues in your life, the chakra associated with that issue is the focal point. Your Reiki therapist then works to cleanse that chakra and realign all your chakras with the cleansed energy to bring a clear crown chakra.
There are a number of ways to help center yourself and balance your chakras. You can use crystals, Reiki healing, and even meditation. The point is, that in order to reset your body, knowing your chakras is vital.